The North West Department of Education stole the show by taking home six categories during the 2022 National Teaching Awards ceremony held at CSIR Convention Centre on Thursday, 20 October 2022.
Out of the thirteen candidates who won at provincial level, the North West province sent six candidates to represent the province.
The six candidates brought home various categories from national level.
The 2022 National Teaching Awards won by the North West province are as follows:
– Mr Tebogo “Jobe” Mokwene from Mmabatho High School in Mafikeng, Ngaka Modiri Molema District obtained position one in the Excellence in Teaching Mathematics FET category. Mr Mokwene teaches mathematics through social media platform, YouTube and he is a maths tutor in the “Dial a Tutor” programme which a telephone system that is aimed at helping secondary school learners in the province. He also uses songs to entice learners to different concepts in Mathematics.
– Ms Dikeledi Sekopamotse from Platinum Village in Rustenburg, Bojanala District obtained the first position in Excellence in Primary School Leadership category. Ms Sekopamotse is the founding principal of the school.
– Ms Tsholofelo Lechuti from Tswelelopele Secondary School in Itsoseng Township, Ngaka Modiri Molema District obtained the second position in Excellence in Secondary School Teaching category. Ms Lechuti is offering English First Additional Language on YouTube and her lessons are used by other teachers in their schools.
– Mr Bongumusa Mabuza from Reabona Secondary School in Dr Kenneth Kaunda District obtained the second position in the Excellence in Teaching Physical Science category. He strives to change the famous belief that science is difficult by using all the available resources to impart knowledge to his learners.
– Ms Lezeth Van Der Walt from Hoerskool Skoonspruit in Klerksport Dr Kenneth Kaunda won the second position in the Excellence in Technology – Enhanced Teaching and Learning category. She serves as an ICT manager, senior Hostel Official, sports coach, a member numerous committees and organizes Olympiads at her school
– Ms Marakane Mokhele from Areitshokeng Primary School, Jouberton Township Dr Kenneth Kaunda won the third position in the Excellence in Grade R Teaching category. She is not only contributing positively in class but also engages with leaners in different sporting codes.
The MEC for Education, Mmaphefo Matsemela emphasized that the North West province is now a force to be reckoned with in all competitions within the sector.
“On behalf of the department I would like to congratulate all those teachers who have made our province proud. I regard them as heroes to our children in different schools. Our province has now became a force to be reckoned with in the education sector. Recently in the music competitions we brought home many trophies and we were crowned as the best province.
“I am very excited that our province has also retained the first position in the Excellence in Teaching Mathematics FET category. Last this position was won by Mr Alfred Mohitlhi from Dr Ruth Segomotsi Mompati district. On this important month of October which has been declared as the Teachers’ Month, I like to thank all our teachers in the province who continue to sacrifice their family time and spend it with the learners. I believe that even next year we will see many teachers taking part in this competition”, alluded MEC Matsemela.
The NTA scheme is one of the ways in which the Department of Education acknowledges the extraordinary efforts made by excellent teachers, often in very difficult conditions. Such teachers provide for better futures for learners, because the lack of quality education is a major factor behind many social, political, economic and health challenges faced by the world today; as well as contributing to poverty, prejudice and conflict.
The position one winners walked away with a Tablet , bouquet of online courses and laptop fully loaded with data for 12 months, a cash money for the school, training courses, Fundza Lushaka bursary to a learner and computer lab for the school.
For more information please contact: