Written by Tshepo Khechane on . Posted in NWDE
National Teaching Awards
The National Teaching Awards Scheme was conceptualised and launched in 2000 and now enters its sixteenth year of implementation. Through extensive consultation, the scheme has been refined, sharpened, as well as broadened in terms of its frame and categories. We therefore welcome you to the National Teaching Awards 2016.
The Department of Basic Education wishes to salute all schools and teachers who have entered the National Teaching Awards since 2000. The Department acknowledges the extraordinary efforts made by the teachers, often in very difficult conditions. The efforts are a service to our children, most of whom come from poor communities.
The National Teaching Awards scheme is one of the ways in which the Department of Basic Education acknowledges and encourages dedicated and caring teachers in their efforts to develop each learner as a citizen of a democratic, non-racial and non-sexist South Africa.
The Objectives of the Ministry of Basic Education through the National Teaching Awards are to:
• Focus public attention on the positive aspects of Basic Education, thereby raising the public image of the teaching profession.
• Recognise and promote excellence in teaching performance.
• Honour dedicated, creative and effective teachers and schools.
• Encourage best practice in schools.
• Afford South Africans the opportunity to publicly say thank you to all outstanding teams or individual teachers in schools.
Categories and Awards
The Categories are:
• Excellence in Primary School Teaching
• Excellence in Secondary School Teaching
• Excellence in Primary School Leadership
• Excellence in Secondary School Leadership
• Excellence in Grade R Teaching
• Excellence in Special Needs and Inclusive Teaching
• Excellence in Technology–Enhanced, Teaching and Learning Award
• Excellence in Mathematics Teaching (GET);
• Excellence in Natural Sciences Teaching (GET);
• Lifetime Achievement Award
The Awards are:
• District finalists Certificates of Excellence
• Regional/Cluster finalists Certificates of Excellence
• Provincial finalists Certificates of Excellence & prizes
• National finalists Certificates of Excellence & prizes
download.: 2016 NTA Info Guide (File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat)